Terms of Reference
Development of participatory policy evaluation toolkit to improve democracy, human rights and governance (DRG) outcomes/ based on DRG approach
Location: Remote Based with travel for one-day-workshop
Type: Individual consultancy
Language (s) Required: English is required, knowledge of Russian is an advantage
Timeframe: During February –June, 2019 period
Application Deadline: January 30, 2019
In the frames of EvalPartners Innovation Challenge initiative: Strengthening the Role of VOPEs in Democratizing Learning and Evaluation: Democracy, Human Rights and Governance as a Showcase – Localizing Democracy, Rights and Governance Evaluation Practices, Eurasian Alliance of National Evaluation Associations receives a grant to implement the project “Empower2act: effective evaluation tools for defense and advocacy of democracy, human rights and participation in governance” aimed at the development of a value-driven policy evaluation toolkit based on participatory approach and to be used by evaluation practitioners, civil society activists and other stakeholders for the monitoring of policy development/implementation outcomes along with the promotion of the importance of DRG monitoring and evaluation through innovative advocacy campaign (e.g. cartoons, comics, visual story-telling, etc.).
Enabling environment – to contribute to creation of enabling environment for policy evaluation through wide spreading of advocacy campaigns by presenting evaluation as a value-driven tool for participative policy based on principles of equity, gender equality and social justice thus raising awareness of different groups of stakeholders on importance of evaluation;
Institutional capacities – empower Voluntary Organisations for Professional Evaluation (VOPEs) from the region as well as regional initiative of Young and Emerging Evaluators with effective approaches to promote evaluation in general and
efficient localized methods for DRG monitoring and evaluation in particular (advocacy campaign, webinars, toolkit, workshop); to support development of the community of evaluators in Belarus through engagement of belarusian evaluators in the workshop as there is no evaluation association in the Belarus yet;
Individual capacities – to equip evaluators from the region, including young and emerging evaluators, as well as civil society activists with effective localized tool for policy monitoring and evaluation, thus enhancing their individual capabilities for DRG evaluation with the emphasis on transparency, accountability and progress towards common good;
Inter-linkages – to increase the collaboration of civil society organizations working in the sphere of DRG in the region with the evaluators in order to promote effective DRG outcomes monitoring and evaluation practices (webinars, workshop);
Scope of Work and Job Specifications
The purpose of the Toolkit is to equip evaluators from the EECA region, including young and emerging evaluators, as well as civil society activists with effective localized tool for policy evaluation, thus enhancing their individual capabilities for DRG evaluation with the emphasis on transparency, accountability and progress towards common good. It should include evaluation practices from EECA region and/or adapted to region needs.
The Toolkit should include (app. 25-30 pages):
- Theoretical Section: overview, introduction tokey criteria to guide the process and content of policy evaluation, as well as other relevant materials on policy evaluation standards and principles with the emphasis of DRG approach.
- Practical section: practitioner supplements that include templates, checklists and other practical tools for conducting DRG evaluation (including application of new technologies).
The target audience includes:
- Evaluators, including young and emerging
- Civil society activists, DRG practitioners and consultants
- Other individuals or organisations with an interest in the topic, or involved in such assessments.
During the development of the Toolkit:
- Conduct desk-based research, gather and review relevant standards, guides and toolkits
- Consult (remotely, e.g. via skype) with evaluators and civil society activists (especially in DRG area)to gather their recommendations for the toolkit, as well as lessons learned from their experience and any assessment resources developed at the field level.
- Detailed outline of proposed tool and content (should bereviewed and approved by EvalEurasia)
- First draft of the toolkit in English (should reviewed and approved by EvalEurasia)
- Facilitation of the one day workshop in Belarus/Moldova on toolkit presentation and methods of participatory policy evaluation for good governance including promotion of human right and democracy
- Final toolkit in English – app. 25-30 pages (should reviewed and approved by EvalEurasia)
- Conduct webinar presenting the toolkit to interested audience
Timeframe and Budget
The consultancy starts from the February 1, 2019, and deliverables should be completed within 5-months period.
- Application deadline is the January, 30 2019.
- Gross budget 4000$
- Additionally, the consultant will be paid travel tickets (avia) for the workshop, as well as accommodation and meals for that period.
- The consultant will work with EvalEurasia and other stakeholders via electronic means (e.g., email, Skype, WhatsApp); there will be no extra payments for communication, or any other expenses.
Application and Selection
The following documents should be submitted to var jhJwFVgQC = ‘#haranna2000@ya#hoo.com’;
var jhJwFVgQC = jhJwFVgQC.split(‘#’);
document.getElementById(‘jhJwFVgQC’).innerHTML = jhJwFVgQC+jhJwFVgQC+jhJwFVgQC;
by applying candidates no later than by January 30, 2019:
- A cover letter, highlighting the applicant’s relevant experience and qualifications that will allow her/him to complete the assignment successfully with all its deliverables per this ToR. Please, include in the cover later short outline of the proposed toolkit (max. 500 words).
- The participation on the workshop will be organized by EvalEurasia separately.
Only shortlisted applicants will be notified for the next steps. Thank you!